As a partnership, we have wide-scoping aims for delivering projects that benefit multiple users across the whole river catchment. The CamEO hosts provide support to sub-catchment partnerships that enable local groups to turn ambition into action. Our ambitions can be categorised into programmes of work that are shared between our partners:
Encourage community management of river catchments by enabling decision making at a local level.
- Increase public awareness and engagement of CaBA and CamEO
- Align community initiatives such as RiverCare with local partnerships
- Instil a sense of community ownership in local river ecosystems
- Communicate the benefits of community driven catchment management.
Farming and Land Use
Land use sectors contribute to, and benefit from, healthy ecosystems.
- Encourage sustainable soil management in the catchment
- Reduce the volume and impact of agricultural diffuse pollution
- Increase efficient water use and capture on farm
- Promote the use of natural flood management techniques)
Health of the River System
Create, maintain and restore well-functioning, biodiverse and resilient ecosystems.
- Share best practice river restoration techniques amongst partners
- Improve the morphology of rivers within the catchment
- Increase the resilience of streams that are vulnerable to low flows
- Reconnect natural floodplain systems to reduce flooding pressure
- Enhance the biodiversity of river ecosystems.
Mitigate the impact of invasive non-native species (INNS).
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the extent and impact of INNS within the catchment
- Understand the potential for INNS eradication and control
- Coordinate/align INNS action across the catchment
- Promote biosecurity messages, including the Check Clean Dry and Be Plantwise campaigns.
Improve strategic cooperation at the catchment scale in order to secure resources and enable delivery.
- Increase alignment and availability of existing resources to support the objectives of the partnership
- Leverage further resources to support the objectives of the partnership
- Improve fund-raising skills amongst partners
Ensure enough water of sufficient quality to support consumption, irrigation and healthy ecosystems. Promote impartial water resource planning to safeguard environmental needs.
- Raise awareness amongst sub-catchment partnerships about water resource planning to enable them to act as informed stakeholders
- Influence policy, such as abstraction reform, to ensure sustainable water use in the catchment
- Align national initiatives, such as Water Resources East, with the activities of the partnership
- Encourage longer-term water resource planning within CamEO Water Stewardship Business Board network
- Keep local partners informed of the national picture regarding water resource management